In the Kuper household, we are all about simple meal prep and dishes that are versatile. Below is one of our favorites! This gluten-free, dairy-free black bean and quinoa salad is very flavorful and can be used as a side dish to go with your favorite meat, ideally chicken or fish. For this week’s menu we decided to chop and add chicken right to the dish! We’re able to get multiple lunches out of it without the need for prep time in the office… we do try to take our time and be mindful while we enjoy it *wink wink*. We hope you enjoy it too, bon appetit!
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 30 min
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup dry quinoa yields about 2 cups cooked)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, pressed, grated or finely chopped
- Juice of one lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for heat)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 red bell pepper, quarter inch chopped (about 1 cup)
- 6 green onions, root removed, white and part of the greens chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 handful of cilantro, rough chopped (about 1/3 cup)
Recipe: Prepare the quinoa (I encourage using broth vs. water for a bolder flavor). While the quinoa is cooking, whisk the olive oil, cumin, garlic, lime, salt and cayenne (if using) together in the bottom of a large bowl to let the flavors blend while you chop the veggies. We like a lot of flavor and don’t measure too closely, prepare the seasoning as you desire. Rinse and drain the black beans, then chop the veggies; the key is to make the peppers and onions about the same size as the beans. Add the cooked quinoa, beans and veggies to the bowl and gently fold it all together with the dressing. The quinoa can be warm, room temp, or cold when you make the dish. Letting the final dish chill in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes brings the flavors together. It tastes best served room temperature or chilled.