A fresh,quick dinner that is ready in under 30 minutes!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups (about 10 ounces) cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 jar (about 1 cup) roasted red peppers, drained and diced OR
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- optional topping: grated Parmesan cheese
Season chicken breasts with a generous pinch of salt and pepper on each side.
Heat oil in a large saute pan (skillet) over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts in a single layer, and cook for 4-5 minutes on one side. Then flip and cook on the second side for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink on the inside. Transfer chicken breasts to a separate plate and set aside.
Add the onions to the pan with the remaining oil, and saute for 3 minutes or until mostly cooked. Add the garlic and tomatoes to the pan, and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to break down. Add the roasted red peppers and half of the fresh basil, and saute for an additional minute. Then add the chicken breasts back into the pan, and sprinkle with the remaining fresh basil.
Remove from heat and serve warm, topped with fresh parmesan cheese if desired.