- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 coconut oil, softened or melted
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar, plus a little more for rolling
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses or sorghum
- 1 teaspoon water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or use a nonstick cookie sheet.
Sift together flour, salt, and spices in medium bowl, set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat coconut oil and sugar until a creamy consistency and well combined. Add in egg, molasses, and water and beat just until combined. Stir in the dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon until incorporated. Allow dough to rest 10 minutes at room temperature before shaping.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls, roll balls in additional sugar, place on parchment paper, and slightly flatten with fingers or bottom of a glass. Leave about 1-inch between cookies.
TIP: For more festive cookies roll in Turbinado sugar which has larger crystals.
Bake for 10 minutes for softer cookies and 12 minutes for crispier cookies. Leave on cookie sheet about 4-5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. For best results, do not refrigerate.
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (not natural)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup semi sweet or milk chocolate chips*
- If dairy free, use dairy free chocolate chips like Enjoy Life’s Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, using a large spoon, mix together peanut butter, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, egg and baking soda until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop dough by the rounded tablespoonfuls onto Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheets, spacing cookies 2-inches apart. Flatten each slightly. Bake in preheated oven 10 – 12 minutes. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.